How to Build the Best Breakfast Board
What is a breakfast board you might ask? We are sure you have heard of a cheeseboard before, that features different types of cheese, cracker, jams and other fresh fruit to accompany it all, to make a smorgasbord irresistible to any cheese lover! Well, a breakfast board is exactly what it sounds like and essentially very similar but rather than cheese…think breakfast…. a big board full of delicious breakfast foods an accoutrement!
First things first, you are going to want to get a big serving platter, slate board, butchers block or some other food safe large plate that you can display your delicious breakfast items on. Second, you are going to want to pull out some small bowls, spoons, cheese knives, miniature pitchers or bell creamers, pretty much anything cute and fancy that can help store semi liquid items like yogurt, jams, syrups and more! Now creating your perfect breakfast board is really up to your taste but here are some suggestions for items to include;
- Pick out some fruit that you like. Weather it is classic breakfast fruit like cantaloupe or honey dew melons, citrus fruits like grapefruits and oranges, fresh berries like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries or tropical fruits like pineapple or mango you can’t go wrong! Blood oranges come into season November through February. If you are considering adding some fresh citrus fruit for juicing or to serve fresh on your board, consider some blood oranges, they will give a nice pop of color on your board and are a delicious treat! Either way you are going to want some juice…what is breakfast without juice right?! And you are going to want some fruit to display on your board.
- Pick some carbs! Carbs are the best part of a breakfast board so go with whatever your favorites are. Pick from items like buttermilk pancakes, waffles, bagels, breakfast breads like scones, muffins or cinnamon bread toast. You really can’t go wrong with any of these choices…we suggest picking a few. Though pancakes and waffles are breakfast board heroes we suggest leaving cooking these until last when plating up your board, so they stay fresh and delicious when serving, while items like muffins and scones are easy to bake ahead of time. Butter is your friend on your breakfast board. Consider softening your butter at room temperature and mixing with a bit of honey and sea salt or cinnamon and brown sugar…it will really kick your board up a notch!
- Pick out some syrups, jams, honeys or spreads. Picking one or two fun jams or jellies, barrel aged, wood fired or infused maple syrups, local honey or infused honey and sweet or savory spreads like Nutella or other nut butters is a great way to add some flair to your breakfast board.
- Now you are on your way to creating an Instagram worthy breakfast board with just these first three steps, but for the meat eaters out there consider adding on some crispy bacon or griddled breakfast sausages. Be sure to check your local farmers market for these items and support local as much as possible.
- Lastly a perfect finishing touch for your board is adding some yogurt and granola to the mix. We like to mix some fresh vanilla bean up with Greek yogurt and grate a touch of nutmeg into it as well, but fruit or jam can also be added to create a sweeter flavor. Don’t forget the granola or roasted and or candied nuts! They will add a great texture to your board and fill in gaps between items nicely for the overall look and final presentation of your board!
- Lastly, place items strategically around your board interlacing fruit, jams, pancakes, muffins, butter and more! Your breakfast board is ready to enjoy! Now brew up a pot of your best coffee, light a fire and enjoy you weekend mornings in style with your delicious breakfast board!